About Products Selected

This site is designed with brand new cooks in mind. Because of that you will see a lot of items linked here. For an experienced cook it is easy to recognize what the difference between a pot, a sauce pan, a casserole, etc. means. But if you are brand new to the cooking from scratch idea it can be confusing. All products linked are meant to give you a clear idea of what kinds of items I am referring to. These items linked also represent brands that I am familiar with, that I have found to be high quality and I find them to be fairly priced and long lasting for regular use.

For pots and pans I prefer the quality of Circulon brand above higher priced brands and their longevity above lower priced brands. For glass bowls and bake ware I prefer Pyrex. For low priced kitchen ware I prefer Norpro. For smaller quantities of dried goods I prefer Bob's Red Mill, which I can find at all of my local stores. For larger quantities I prefer ordering from Barry Farm. I often use the bulk section at my stores as well. While it is certainly less expensive to make stock at home, it is far more convenient to purchase it. I like Pacific Natural Foods and Imagine Foods low sodium broths. These suggestions are designed to make your food preparation easier and affordable. You'll also be able to accurately duplicate the recipes on this site and the meals seen on Frugal Feeds Videos. Look for all of these products and kitchen items at your local stores or click on the links and it will take you to where you can buy them online. (Although many of the items will cost more with shipping than they will if you can find them at your local store).

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Frugal Feeds | Raw Diet Day 10

Raw Diet Day 10:

Late last night I was craving some milk so I made almond milk. I blended 1 cup raw almonds with 4 cups water until all of the almond was in tiny little bits. I added 2 Tablespoons raw honey and a scant teaspoon vanilla extract. I then strained it three times. It was quite tasty and curbed my craving. It made 4 cups and I drank 2. It also left me with several cups of almond meal that I dehydrated for a few hours at 105. The resulting meal measured 2 cups. I used those two cups of meal to make Spicy Flax and Herb Crackers from Raw Food/Real World, on pg. 300. Because I didn't have the same ingredients on hand I used:

2 cups almond meal
1 Tablespoon Muir Glen Organic Tomato Paste
1 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper
1/2 Orange Bell Pepper
1/2 Serrano Chili
2 cups Brown Flaxseed, ground
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1 Tablespoon Cumin powder
1 scant teaspoon ground Red Pepper
1 Tablespoon Sea Salt (plus half a teaspoon upon tasting)
1 handful of fresh Basil

I mixed the almond meal, flax, dried herbs and salt in a large mixing bowl. I processed the rest of the ingredients in the food processor until broken down into tiny bits. I then mixed them together. I lightly oiled a fruit roll sheet with Eden Olive Oil and spread the mixture to about 1/4 inch thick on two sheets. They are dehydrating at 105. After 6 hours I will flip them out onto a board, break or cut them into cracker sized pieces and then dry them another 6 hours or so. The most challenging part of the recipe was evenly spreading the dough onto the sheet because it took awhile to get it done. Probably if I used teflex sheets in a square shaped dehydrator it would be easier. I'll let you know how they come out.

I also made the mushroom filling for the tamales we'll be having tonight. This recipe is also found in the Raw Food/Real World book, page 197. The filling was super simple, but again I didn't have the same ingredients. I used the following:

2 cups White Mushrooms, stems removed, cut into small sticks
1/2 cup Hempseed Oil
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 1/2 Tablespoons dried whole Oregano
1 teaspoon Sea Salt

Mixed it all together and am dehydrating it for 12 hours. The initial taste was great so I imagine after it is all done it will be excellent.

I am not particularly hungry today but for breakfast I had a Banana Milk Shake.
Using the almond milk for last night I blended 2 cups almond milk and1 banana until frothy. Very yummy!

I will post again tonight to let you know how the tamales and chips turn out.

No comments: