About Products Selected

This site is designed with brand new cooks in mind. Because of that you will see a lot of items linked here. For an experienced cook it is easy to recognize what the difference between a pot, a sauce pan, a casserole, etc. means. But if you are brand new to the cooking from scratch idea it can be confusing. All products linked are meant to give you a clear idea of what kinds of items I am referring to. These items linked also represent brands that I am familiar with, that I have found to be high quality and I find them to be fairly priced and long lasting for regular use.

For pots and pans I prefer the quality of Circulon brand above higher priced brands and their longevity above lower priced brands. For glass bowls and bake ware I prefer Pyrex. For low priced kitchen ware I prefer Norpro. For smaller quantities of dried goods I prefer Bob's Red Mill, which I can find at all of my local stores. For larger quantities I prefer ordering from Barry Farm. I often use the bulk section at my stores as well. While it is certainly less expensive to make stock at home, it is far more convenient to purchase it. I like Pacific Natural Foods and Imagine Foods low sodium broths. These suggestions are designed to make your food preparation easier and affordable. You'll also be able to accurately duplicate the recipes on this site and the meals seen on Frugal Feeds Videos. Look for all of these products and kitchen items at your local stores or click on the links and it will take you to where you can buy them online. (Although many of the items will cost more with shipping than they will if you can find them at your local store).

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Frugal Feeds | Raw Diet Day 9

Raw Diet Day 9:


For breakfast I wasn't very hungry so just had an orange.

For lunch I was pretty hungry so had a smoothie made up of a cup of blueberries, a cup of pineapple, 1/2 of a bosc pear and a half inch of ginger. Along with that I was craving Indonesia-style noodles so I mixed together 2 Tablespoons raw pecan butter, about a 1/4 teaspoon fresh green chili, juice from 1/16th of a lime, 1/4 cup shredded coconut and Braggs Amino Acids, to taste, maybe 1/2 a teaspoon? I rinsed kelp noodles under hot water, drained them and then tossed with the pecan sauce. Pretty good. Met my craving for the Indo-sauce even without peanuts. I really enjoyed the kelp noodles. They had the right mouth feel and they had a crispness to them that was refreshing. I will use those again. At my local store it was just over $2 for the 2.5 ounce serving, so alot higher than regular ramen noodles but they were filling, healthy, raw and thoroughly enjoyable and they didn't leave a heavy feeling in my stomach afterward.

Tonight we are going to have tacos. I have seen many recipes that call for raw corn and ground flaxseed in a 10 part corn, 1 part flax ratio for making raw corn tortillas. I used one of those recipes, pureed the corn with the flax and placed it on teflex trays at 105 for 6 hours and then flipped them for another two hours. Lousy! They are probably going to work for tonights dinner but the taste and texture are poor at best and they stick terribly to your teeth! Think of lumpy fruit roll ups--extra dried out-- and you'd have an idea of the texture. Fruit roll ups would make better tortillas than these. Anyway, I'll be trying a different recipe next time. So far I haven't had much luck with other people's recipes. When I wing it the food generally turns out pretty good, but when I use recipes from the many books I have checked out on this diet they are either very complicated with hard to find exotic ingredients or they just don't work very well, with just a few exceptions.

I do like the book I got today though, Raw Food real world by Matthew Kenney and Sarma Melngallis. It seems to have the best recipes I have seen yet. Unfortunately for tonights tacos I didn't get this until today so I can't use their tortilla recipe this time around. I will be using their taco filling recipe except that I will use walnuts instead of sunflower seeds. And I am going to try their Tart Sour Cream made up of macadamia nuts and cashews (pg. 303), so we'll see how it all turns out. If I find their recipes to my liking I see that they have a few more cookbooks that came after this one that I can try too.

I still haven't figured out what is up with my camera so I will probably not be taking pictures today. I may try using my cell phone in the interim. The picture quality won't be great but it won't be blurry.

No comments: