About Products Selected

This site is designed with brand new cooks in mind. Because of that you will see a lot of items linked here. For an experienced cook it is easy to recognize what the difference between a pot, a sauce pan, a casserole, etc. means. But if you are brand new to the cooking from scratch idea it can be confusing. All products linked are meant to give you a clear idea of what kinds of items I am referring to. These items linked also represent brands that I am familiar with, that I have found to be high quality and I find them to be fairly priced and long lasting for regular use.

For pots and pans I prefer the quality of Circulon brand above higher priced brands and their longevity above lower priced brands. For glass bowls and bake ware I prefer Pyrex. For low priced kitchen ware I prefer Norpro. For smaller quantities of dried goods I prefer Bob's Red Mill, which I can find at all of my local stores. For larger quantities I prefer ordering from Barry Farm. I often use the bulk section at my stores as well. While it is certainly less expensive to make stock at home, it is far more convenient to purchase it. I like Pacific Natural Foods and Imagine Foods low sodium broths. These suggestions are designed to make your food preparation easier and affordable. You'll also be able to accurately duplicate the recipes on this site and the meals seen on Frugal Feeds Videos. Look for all of these products and kitchen items at your local stores or click on the links and it will take you to where you can buy them online. (Although many of the items will cost more with shipping than they will if you can find them at your local store).

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Frugal Feeds | Raw Diet Day 7

Raw Diet Day 7:

For dinner last night I wasn't much hungry and I wanted something salty so I soaked some seaweed for an hour, drained it and tossed it with some Bragg's Amino Acids, making about a cup of simple seaweed salad. The seaweed I used was supposed to be kombu, which I often use, but I don't think it could have been. The brand I normally buy was sold out at the store so I picked it up in the bulk bin at the Co-op. I think they had mislabeled it though. I have had kombu salad dozens of times and it has never been slimy at all, but this was revoltingly slimy. I ended up re-rinsing it 4 times just so that it was edible, but it wasn't tasty at all. I'll stick to the brand name sea weed from here on out.

Aside from that I also had two of the throw together cookies two hours apart so that I could see how they were progressing in their dehydrating. They ended up tasting tangy like tart green apples so with the cinnamon and coconut they are reminiscent of baked apples yet slightly chewy like macaroons. Not bad. I think next time I will try figs or dates though. It is good, just not great.

Today marks the first day of my spouse joining me on the raw diet. He is committed to two weeks of the trial. His first day he wants to do a water fast.
For breakfast I had 5 throw together cookies, 1 small banana and 1/2 cup of banana chips with a glass of water.

For lunch I had 1/2 cup of raw almonds and 5 throw together cookies.

I made Banana Bread Inspired Breakfast Cups since I know my spouse likes banana bread. They take awhile to dehydrate so we'll have them for breakfast tomorrow.

(again...sorry about the image quality, still can't figure out what is wrong w/ the camera)

Banana Bread Inspired Breakfast Cups


3 ripe Bananas
1/4 c. Water
1/2 c. Raw Cashew Butter
1/4 c. Raw Honey
1/2 teaspoon ground Cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 cup Coconut Flour
1 cup Pecans, chopped
Coconut Oil

Process the bananas, cashew butter, honey and spices until a smooth batter is formed. Mix in the coconut flour. Fold in the pecans. Lightly grease 10 cups of a muffin pan with the coconut oil. Using a 1/3 cup scoop (disher) place one scoop of banana batter in each cup. Dehydrate overnight. Serves 10.


I also made a Meatloaf Inspired Nut Loaf:



1/2 of a Bell Pepper
1 large stalk Celery
1/2 of a Sweet Onion
 1 clove Garlic
About 1 Tablespoon Rosemary
6 Basil leaves
1/2 cup Parsley
About 2 cups White Mushrooms
1/4 cup Bragg's Amino Acids
Scant 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
Several grindings of Black Pepper

1 heaping cup Raw Walnuts, soaked for 2 hours
1 heaping cup Raw Almonds, soaked for 2 hours
1 heaping cup Raw Sunflower Seeds, soaked for 2 hours

Puree vegetables, herbs and spices. Set aside. Process the nuts starting with the walnuts, until coarsely chopped, then add the almonds and process until coarsely chopped, then add the sunflower seeds and process until the nut mixture has become a coarse paste. Add to the pureed vegetables and mix until fully incorporated. It will be a thick mix but not stiff. I put mine into a parchment paper lined pyrex casserole, with the parchment draping up the sides, and spread the mixture out to the sides. Dehydrate at 100 degrees for 16 hours. Every 4 hours or so place a new piece of parchment paper on top and carefully flip the nutloaf over and place back in the casserole dish. Remove the old parchment paper by peeling off carefully. Top with Raw Barbeque Sauce or Ketchup. Serves 8.

I tasted the banana bread mixture and nut loaf mixture frequently and probably had 1/3 cup of the banana bread mixture and about 1/3 cup of the nut loaf mixture. I'll be having a light salad for dinner tonight and a serving of the Raw Cacao Mousse.

No comments: