About Products Selected

This site is designed with brand new cooks in mind. Because of that you will see a lot of items linked here. For an experienced cook it is easy to recognize what the difference between a pot, a sauce pan, a casserole, etc. means. But if you are brand new to the cooking from scratch idea it can be confusing. All products linked are meant to give you a clear idea of what kinds of items I am referring to. These items linked also represent brands that I am familiar with, that I have found to be high quality and I find them to be fairly priced and long lasting for regular use.

For pots and pans I prefer the quality of Circulon brand above higher priced brands and their longevity above lower priced brands. For glass bowls and bake ware I prefer Pyrex. For low priced kitchen ware I prefer Norpro. For smaller quantities of dried goods I prefer Bob's Red Mill, which I can find at all of my local stores. For larger quantities I prefer ordering from Barry Farm. I often use the bulk section at my stores as well. While it is certainly less expensive to make stock at home, it is far more convenient to purchase it. I like Pacific Natural Foods and Imagine Foods low sodium broths. These suggestions are designed to make your food preparation easier and affordable. You'll also be able to accurately duplicate the recipes on this site and the meals seen on Frugal Feeds Videos. Look for all of these products and kitchen items at your local stores or click on the links and it will take you to where you can buy them online. (Although many of the items will cost more with shipping than they will if you can find them at your local store).

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Frugal Feeds | Raw Diet Day 6

Raw Diet Day 6:

For breakfast I had 1/2 of a pineapple, two small bananas and four macadamia nuts.




For lunch I had one of my favorite salads, I think of it as a Mexico Inspired Salad. I eat variations of it often. Basically it is 3-4 cups of mixed lettuces with bell peppers, tomatoes and avocado. Today it also had jicama. I usually squeeze some citrus on it and today it was 1/2 of a lime. Top it all off with some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I enjoy it very much.

By the way, please excuse the blurriness of my photos so far. I need to get my camera checked out. Even on a tripod and all settings at automatic the pictures are coming out blurry. I don't think it is too terrible yet and will get it fixed as soon as I can.


I knocked together a "cookie" mixture as an experiment. I'm going to call it Throw Together Cookies. It is made of dried dessicated coconut, cashews and dried currants in equal amounts (about 1/2 cup each) 3 Tablespoons raw honey, 1 heaping tablespoon cinnamon and a half teaspoon of vanilla extract. I soaked the coconut, cashews and currants in just a little bit more water than needed to cover, for 4 hours. Then I processed it until fairly smooth, starting off in pulse mode until the currants started to break down and then on high for a minute or so. Using a Tablespoon scoop (disher) I scooped up 20 little cookies onto parchment paper and set it out in the sun to harden and dry. Since this is just an experiment I have no idea if this is going to be any good, but I'll let you know as soon as they are done, sometime tomorrow. The un-dried, un-hardened dough was mighty tasty--I ate about a tablespoon of that.

Also made a cacao pudding. It didn't turn out as smooth as I'd have liked, more dense like a mousse. Could whip it to add more air but it was good the way it was so I didn't want to fuss with it anymore. So, I'll call it Cacao Mousse.

 ( if I set the camera to auto exposure it is crisp but dark on manual exposure it is bright but blurry. Hmph!)

Meat from one Young Coconut
2 Tablespoons Raw Cashew Butter
1/4 cup Pureed Raw Cacao
2 Tablespoons Raw Honey
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Fresh Coconut Milk from the Young Coconut

Place all in a food processor and pulse until broken up. Then process on high speed for two minutes, scraping down the sides from time-to-time until well mixed and pretty smooth. You could process it longer but pause for a few minutes to let the motor cool. Chill for 30 minutes and serve. Makes about 4 servings of 3 Tablespoons each. Very rich, you won't want more than 3 Tablespoons.

For snack I had 1 Tablespoon of the cookie dough while I was making it and later had 3 Tablespoons of the Cacao Mousse.

For dinner I'll have to report tomorrow since I have something to go to tonight and won't be back until late.

No comments: