About Products Selected

This site is designed with brand new cooks in mind. Because of that you will see a lot of items linked here. For an experienced cook it is easy to recognize what the difference between a pot, a sauce pan, a casserole, etc. means. But if you are brand new to the cooking from scratch idea it can be confusing. All products linked are meant to give you a clear idea of what kinds of items I am referring to. These items linked also represent brands that I am familiar with, that I have found to be high quality and I find them to be fairly priced and long lasting for regular use.

For pots and pans I prefer the quality of Circulon brand above higher priced brands and their longevity above lower priced brands. For glass bowls and bake ware I prefer Pyrex. For low priced kitchen ware I prefer Norpro. For smaller quantities of dried goods I prefer Bob's Red Mill, which I can find at all of my local stores. For larger quantities I prefer ordering from Barry Farm. I often use the bulk section at my stores as well. While it is certainly less expensive to make stock at home, it is far more convenient to purchase it. I like Pacific Natural Foods and Imagine Foods low sodium broths. These suggestions are designed to make your food preparation easier and affordable. You'll also be able to accurately duplicate the recipes on this site and the meals seen on Frugal Feeds Videos. Look for all of these products and kitchen items at your local stores or click on the links and it will take you to where you can buy them online. (Although many of the items will cost more with shipping than they will if you can find them at your local store).

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Frugal Feeds | Raw Diet Day 16

Raw Diet Day 16:

This morning I wasn't much hungry so just had a half cup of raisins and a glass of water.
For snack I had half of an avocado.

For lunch I had a large salad with peas, corn, sweet bell peppers, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes on mixed lettuces with a few squeezes of lemon and some olive oil.

For snack I had half of a papaya with pineapple, lychees, mandarin oranges and coconut.

For dinner I had a little more than a cup and a half of coarsely chopped mixed nuts including pecan, walnut, sunflower seeds, coconut, macadamia nut and almonds mixed with dried currants, dates and raisin. I mixed some cinnamon, vanilla and nut milk and poured it over the nut mixture for a granola type cereal.

Late last night my younger daughter had a sleep-over and ordered a pizza from of the local pizza places that I had previously thought had a fairly decent pizza. I had some of it but found it to taste totally different than I remember. The crust was cloyingly sweet, the sauce salty, the cheese greasy and tasteless and the pepperoni stale and completely unappealing. Those few bites sat in my stomach all night. If I choose to have a non-raw pizza in the future I will either make it myself or find a high quality pizza place to try it again. It was astonishingly sub-par to me although everyone else thought it tasted the same as always. Guess my taste buds have really changed in this short time on the raw diet.

Spent the day looking at options for building raised garden beds to start a vegetable garden. I can't tell yet which type I will make, some are expensive but look attractive and long lasting, while others aren't so expensive but may end up needing to be replaced every year or so, or they are just plain ugly. I'd rather not roto-till the yard because there are so many weeds, but that would likely be the most affordable. I'm going to keep looking at the options.

No comments: