About Products Selected

This site is designed with brand new cooks in mind. Because of that you will see a lot of items linked here. For an experienced cook it is easy to recognize what the difference between a pot, a sauce pan, a casserole, etc. means. But if you are brand new to the cooking from scratch idea it can be confusing. All products linked are meant to give you a clear idea of what kinds of items I am referring to. These items linked also represent brands that I am familiar with, that I have found to be high quality and I find them to be fairly priced and long lasting for regular use.

For pots and pans I prefer the quality of Circulon brand above higher priced brands and their longevity above lower priced brands. For glass bowls and bake ware I prefer Pyrex. For low priced kitchen ware I prefer Norpro. For smaller quantities of dried goods I prefer Bob's Red Mill, which I can find at all of my local stores. For larger quantities I prefer ordering from Barry Farm. I often use the bulk section at my stores as well. While it is certainly less expensive to make stock at home, it is far more convenient to purchase it. I like Pacific Natural Foods and Imagine Foods low sodium broths. These suggestions are designed to make your food preparation easier and affordable. You'll also be able to accurately duplicate the recipes on this site and the meals seen on Frugal Feeds Videos. Look for all of these products and kitchen items at your local stores or click on the links and it will take you to where you can buy them online. (Although many of the items will cost more with shipping than they will if you can find them at your local store).

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Frugal Feeds | Raw Diet Day 20

Raw Diet Day 20:

Wasn't a bit hungry so I just had a coffee with almond milk for breakfast.
For lunch I had a banana and a cup of papaya.


Today was a very productive day but I didn't get the indoor seeds started because the yard had to be mowed and weed whacked before I could begin the big gardening project. The mowing and weeding took over two hours.

For the garden I was able to get everything sown that could go out this early. I planted five types of carrots, two types of radishes, two types of beets, a dozen different lettuces, collards, kale, seven tomatoes, seven herbs, four edible flowers, Walla Walla onions, chives and peas. The next planting won't be for four weeks but all of those plants will be started indoors tomorrow. After putting in all of the seeds with their labels I set four posts and tied down netting. The netting will help diffuse the heavy rain that will be coming in tomorrow and if the temperature drops too much this week I will be able to lay down cover over the netting which will keep the garden warm but will still give room for the crops to grow. Every few weeks the netting will be raised to accommodate the  height of the plants as they grow.

Along one of the side fences where I had planned to plant bamboo as a privacy screen I have instead decided to grow pumpkins. The pumpkins will climb the fence to provide partial privacy but will also give a lushness to the area when the miner's lettuce dies out in mid-summer.

Because I finished the gardening as it was starting to get dark I wasn't able to take pictures today but once the rain stops this week I will do a blog all about this type of intensive gardening and will include pictures with that post.

Overall today was a fairly good day.

No comments: