About Products Selected

This site is designed with brand new cooks in mind. Because of that you will see a lot of items linked here. For an experienced cook it is easy to recognize what the difference between a pot, a sauce pan, a casserole, etc. means. But if you are brand new to the cooking from scratch idea it can be confusing. All products linked are meant to give you a clear idea of what kinds of items I am referring to. These items linked also represent brands that I am familiar with, that I have found to be high quality and I find them to be fairly priced and long lasting for regular use.

For pots and pans I prefer the quality of Circulon brand above higher priced brands and their longevity above lower priced brands. For glass bowls and bake ware I prefer Pyrex. For low priced kitchen ware I prefer Norpro. For smaller quantities of dried goods I prefer Bob's Red Mill, which I can find at all of my local stores. For larger quantities I prefer ordering from Barry Farm. I often use the bulk section at my stores as well. While it is certainly less expensive to make stock at home, it is far more convenient to purchase it. I like Pacific Natural Foods and Imagine Foods low sodium broths. These suggestions are designed to make your food preparation easier and affordable. You'll also be able to accurately duplicate the recipes on this site and the meals seen on Frugal Feeds Videos. Look for all of these products and kitchen items at your local stores or click on the links and it will take you to where you can buy them online. (Although many of the items will cost more with shipping than they will if you can find them at your local store).

Monday, April 5, 2010

Frugal Feeds | Raw Diet Day 29, Week Four, Day One

Raw Diet Day 29, Week Four, Day One:

Happy Easter. Didn't add a blog for Easter so here it is, with today's...

I spent some time looking for unusual fruit and vegetable seeds online. The ones I found most interesting ones were the Tigger Melon, Purple Haze Carrot Purple Dragon Carrot, Poona Kheera Cucumber, Hmong Red Cucumber (huge, looks yellow/orange though), Pepino Melon, Strawberry Spinach and White Caroline Strawberries with red seeds. Check out Dave's Garden for lots of information on the plants you are growing or considering growing. Many are reviewed by growers and the review is listed by location. A good place to find reputable sources for fruit seeds is Cornell University's page and their vegetable pages are a wealth of information.

While I kept my calories within the daily range of 1500-1900 (1650 for the day) I did not focus on the raw diet. I ate 4 cups of fresh fruit salad with melons, apples, pineapple and grapes for breakfast. For lunch I had one half of a large avocado with sea salt and two Tablespoons of almonds. We all snacked through the day on chocolate, peeps and cookies. For dinner we had roasted chicken and potatoes. Not a particularly healthy day but not a feast of over-consumption that it has often been in the past.

I didn't have any appetite today so didn't have breakfast or morning snack but for lunch I had one tomato.
For dinner I had a salad made of four cups mesclun lettuces, 1 cup alfalfa sprouts, 1 tomato, 3 Tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 cup kalamata olives, 2 Tablespoons capers, 1 cup baby carrots and 1/2 cup of sugar snap peas.

No comments: