About Products Selected

This site is designed with brand new cooks in mind. Because of that you will see a lot of items linked here. For an experienced cook it is easy to recognize what the difference between a pot, a sauce pan, a casserole, etc. means. But if you are brand new to the cooking from scratch idea it can be confusing. All products linked are meant to give you a clear idea of what kinds of items I am referring to. These items linked also represent brands that I am familiar with, that I have found to be high quality and I find them to be fairly priced and long lasting for regular use.

For pots and pans I prefer the quality of Circulon brand above higher priced brands and their longevity above lower priced brands. For glass bowls and bake ware I prefer Pyrex. For low priced kitchen ware I prefer Norpro. For smaller quantities of dried goods I prefer Bob's Red Mill, which I can find at all of my local stores. For larger quantities I prefer ordering from Barry Farm. I often use the bulk section at my stores as well. While it is certainly less expensive to make stock at home, it is far more convenient to purchase it. I like Pacific Natural Foods and Imagine Foods low sodium broths. These suggestions are designed to make your food preparation easier and affordable. You'll also be able to accurately duplicate the recipes on this site and the meals seen on Frugal Feeds Videos. Look for all of these products and kitchen items at your local stores or click on the links and it will take you to where you can buy them online. (Although many of the items will cost more with shipping than they will if you can find them at your local store).

Monday, April 12, 2010

Frugal Feeds | Raw Diet Day 36

Raw Diet Day 36:

Wasn't hungry this morning so just had a carrot.

I made a quart of macadamia nut milk. You can find the recipe here.


For lunch I made a smoothie of 1 extra large banana, 1 cup blueberries, 2 cups of macadamia milk. I had half for lunch and my daughter had the other half.


In the garden I found a problem that is going to take some work to resolve. The straw bales that I bought were supposed to be seed free, and soaking the bales and letting them bake for a week should have killed any remaining seeds, but unfortunately it didn't. Yesterday the straw bales were suddenly popping up tons of hay sprouts. I will have to pull out all that I can and cover the bales with plastic to knock down any further growth. I'll let you know if it works.


In the afternoon I made some large brownie type cookies to use up the nut meal I had left over from making nut milks.

2 cups Nut Meal, a mix of almond meal and macadamia meal
3 Tablespoons Flax Meal, soaked in 1/4 cup warm water for 3 minutes
1/2 cup Coconut flour
1/2 cup Dates, chopped
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
Two pinches of Sea salt
1/4 cup Raw honey, approximately
1/2 cup Cacao powder

1 Tablespoon per cookie of chocolate ganache or sprinkles

Mix all ingredients except chocolate ganache or sprinkles. Using a large disher scoop out 14 cookies onto a dehydrator sheet. Flatten each cookie slightly. If using sprinkles add them to the top of the cookies now. Using the bottom of a glass tumbler press top of each cookie until it spreads to about 1/3 inch thick and the sprinkles stick to the surface of the cookie. If using ganache, dip tumbler into cocoa powder and then press the tops of the cookies. Do this for each cookie. Spread 1 Tablespoon of ganache on each cookie. Dehydrate at 105 degrees for about 6 hours or until slightly crisp and no longer sticky in the middle. The edges are a little dry but they are chewy, chocolaty and sweet.

Goes great with a cup of macadamia milk!

Dinner tonight was a salad of mixed lettuces, jicama, red bell pepper, alfalfa sprouts, peas and hemp nuts.

No comments: