About Products Selected

This site is designed with brand new cooks in mind. Because of that you will see a lot of items linked here. For an experienced cook it is easy to recognize what the difference between a pot, a sauce pan, a casserole, etc. means. But if you are brand new to the cooking from scratch idea it can be confusing. All products linked are meant to give you a clear idea of what kinds of items I am referring to. These items linked also represent brands that I am familiar with, that I have found to be high quality and I find them to be fairly priced and long lasting for regular use.

For pots and pans I prefer the quality of Circulon brand above higher priced brands and their longevity above lower priced brands. For glass bowls and bake ware I prefer Pyrex. For low priced kitchen ware I prefer Norpro. For smaller quantities of dried goods I prefer Bob's Red Mill, which I can find at all of my local stores. For larger quantities I prefer ordering from Barry Farm. I often use the bulk section at my stores as well. While it is certainly less expensive to make stock at home, it is far more convenient to purchase it. I like Pacific Natural Foods and Imagine Foods low sodium broths. These suggestions are designed to make your food preparation easier and affordable. You'll also be able to accurately duplicate the recipes on this site and the meals seen on Frugal Feeds Videos. Look for all of these products and kitchen items at your local stores or click on the links and it will take you to where you can buy them online. (Although many of the items will cost more with shipping than they will if you can find them at your local store).

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Frugal Feeds | Raw Diet Day 30

Raw Diet Day 30:

Last night I had a bit of trouble getting to sleep so didn't fall asleep until after 1:30. Around 4:30 in the morning there was a tremendous commotion that woke me up. My dog was barking his head off and I could hear my husband in the living room speaking to someone. Turns out that a homeless man had been found sleeping in our old Jeep Grand Wagoneer by the local police. Several months ago I had a feeling that someone was sleeping in it. Not because anything was ever moved or stolen from it but because one of the passenger doors was regularly left ajar, as if someone had tried to close the door quietly. I moved the Jeep from further down the street, where it was normally parked, to right in front of our house. The doors remained unlocked because it is an old thing and the locks don't always work. After I moved it I did not see the door ajar again. Periodically I would check the contents but only notice that the sweatshirt that lays on top of the front seats arm rest was disturbed. If the person detained last night is the same person who has been sleeping there all along he is an honest person down on his luck. The reason I say this is because in the console is at least $5 in coins that have never been touched, not even a nickle. Also, because the vehicle is old I keep a large amount of tools and equipment in there, in case of a breakdown, and those too have never been touched. We didn't press charges but he was arrested because he had been found "camping" inside the city limits and had been found sleeping previously in a university vehicle. I guess I can only say that I hope life turns around for him soon.

For breakfast I had two Wasa rye crispbreads spread with several Tablespoons of raw almond butter, 1/2 Tablespoon of raw honey, 1 banana and 1/2 of a cup of golden raisins. For morning snack I had the same.
For lunch my husband brought home sushi and pot stickers. I had 10 small salmon and tuna sushi pieces and 5 baked vegetarian pot stickers.

In the afternoon I had quite a thrilling surprise. I was doing some light yard work in the backyard getting the garden uncovered from the frost protection when I heard a very loud flapping sound just over my head. I looked up to see the belly and spread wings of a wild turkey not even three feet above my head!!! What a beautiful creature! He landed between my straw bale garden and the compost pile. I didn't even know that we had turkeys around here. It is the first time I have ever seen one in person and I have lived in Southern Oregon for 9 years now. I didn't have my camera on me so I took my dog in the house (he really wanted to check out this huge bird that is quite nearly as big as him!) and got the camera but when I went back out he was nowhere to be seen. While looking for him I noticed that the wild apple tree in the field behind our yard was in bloom and thought it would be nice to get some pictures of that. While taking the pictures of the apple blossoms, lo and behold, I heard the tell-tale sound of frantic flapping again behind me. I swung around just in time to get a few pictures of the poor turkey running for his life away from me! I hope you enjoy these :)






























And away he goes!!....Sure got my adrenalin pumping!

We took our guinea pig in for his second shot in the series. He is doing remarkably better but as the mites die his fur is coming off with the healing skin so he is looking like he is much worse but acting like he feels amazingly better. One more shot next week and then a few weeks of medicine and he'll be right as rain.

Tonight we are having large mixed lettuce salads with tomato, red bell pepper, avocado and green onions tossed with lime juice. Also we'll be having a juice of 5 carrots an apple and ginger.


No comments: